I joined the Wall Street Journal’s graphics department in 2014 and have produced dozens of graphics in the years since. My speciality is web graphics — interactives, news apps and data visualisations.
How the 9/11 Attacks Remade New York City’s Financial District
A richly-reported visual essay on how lower Manhattan has changed, for the 20th anniversary of the attacks. Made using three.js.
Covid-19 Vaccines vs. Infections
A timely analysis of Covid-19 vaccination rates across the U.S. I used the Python library Pandas to analyse the data and produce a static draft for editing. Once the contents were locked down, I coded this animated version, which uses D3 and an internal scrollytelling framework, Storyboard.
The SPAC Boom, Visualized
This quick-hit graphic was published around the top of the 2020/21 SPAC boom. I produced it using a combination of D3, Adobe Illustrator and ai2html.
How Money Flowed (and Ebbed) at GE
A giant, vertical streamograph rendered using D3. I’m most proud of this piece for the mobile-friendly solution to incorporating annotations into such a dense chart.
Midterm Elections 2018: Live Results
I led a team who worked on this results page, plus live graphics embedded within the WSJ homepage, app and election night liveblog. My biggest contribution to the codebase was the ‘Pachinko’, a novel data visualisation that uses animation in a fun way.
4,925 Tweets: Elon Musk's Twitter Habit, Dissected
I worked closely with Scott and Samarth to find the right format for this analysis of Elon Musk’s tweets. We settled on a trendy ‘tap story’ with lot of charts and embedded tweets.
How Facial Recognition Software Works
- Bezos in Space: What the Blue Origin Flight Will Be Like
- Airbnb’s Road to IPO: Mounting Valuation and Mounting Costs
- ‘Kat’ Returns to the Office. Her Employer Is Watching Her Closely.
- WSJ Jigsaw Puzzle
- Which Streaming Services Are Right for You? Take the WSJ Quiz.
- What ‘Women’s Work’ Looks Like Now
- Meet ‘Chet.’ His Employer Knows What Time He Woke Up Today.
- There Are Five Different Races in Streaming TV. Here’s Where Apple Fits In.
- Appl Still Hasn’t Fixd Its MacBook Kyboad Problm
- How Fast 5G Mobile Internet Feels
- Lives Lost in Three Decades of School Shootings
- Build Your Own Trading Bot
- Bull’s Birthday
- Markets Splinter
- Has the Dow Hit 20000 Yet?
- U.S. Election Results 2016
- Index Funds Are Taking Over The S&P 500
- Reacting to the Fed
- How Oil’s Fall Has Flummoxed Forecasters
- Brexit Vote: Live Results
- How Fed Rates Move Markets
- Mapped: Europe’s Pollution Problem
- The Unraveling of Tom Hayes
- The Events That Pushed Greece to the Economic Brink
- How Eurozone GDP Stacks Up
- U.K. Election Results 2015
- Eurozone Bonds' Wild Ride
- Greece's Debt Due: What Greece Owes When
- How the Paris Shooting and Hostage Standoff Unfolded